Spring has arrived in the Roaring Fork Valley. In addition to hiking and biking, the longer days and warmer weather brings a wide variety of tasks for spring property maintenance. Here’s a list of spring maintenance suggestions:
– Window and door screens: Clean screening and check for holes. Patch holes or replace the screen. Tighten or repair any loose or damaged frames and repaint. Replace broken, worn, or missing hardware. Wind can ruin screens and frames that are allowed to flap and move, so make sure they are securely fastened. Tighten, clean and lubricate door hinges, closers and tracks.
– Air Conditioner: Clear leaves and debris. Vacuum the grille and register inside the home to ensure good airflow. Change furnace filter.
– Evaporative Cooler: Clean unit, check belt tension and adjust if needed. Replace cracked or worn belt.
– Foundation: Check foundation walls, floors, concrete and masonry for cracking, heaving, or deterioration. Repair cracks as needed.
– Decks, Porches and Fences: Check all decks, patios, porches, stairs, railings and fences for loose members and deterioration. Open decks and wood fences need to be treated every two to three years.
– Inspect Brickwork, Stucco and Flagstone: Check for missing mortar, chipping stucco and loose bricks or stones. Replace/repair as necessary. Power wash flagstone patios, replace lost mortar and seal.
– Driveways: Power wash, repair cracking and re-seal.
– Landscape: Cut back and trim all vegetation and overgrown bushes that are touching structures.
– Sprinklers: Fire up the sprinkler system. Check system for leaky valves, exposed lines and improperly working sprinkler heads.
– Gutters and downspouts: Remove leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts. Inspect gutters for proper slope to the downspout. Reattach gutters that have pulled away from the house.
– Roof: Inspect roof surface flashing, eaves and soffits. Check flashings around all surface projections and sidewalls. Check drainage at same time as gutters above. Check the attic for leaking.
– Siding: Clean siding with a pressure washer to keep mold from growing. Check all wood surfaces for weathering and/or paint failure. Repair, paint and stain as necessary.
– Exterior caulking: Inspect caulking and replace if deteriorating. Scrape out all the eroding caulk and re-caulk the needed area.
– Window sills, door sills, and thresholds: Fill cracks, caulk edges, repaint or replace if necessary. Check weather stripping and replace as necessary.