Winter comes by storm in Aspen, Colorado. Before you know it, the first frost has turned into feet of snow. This makes winter home maintenance and preparation imperative. Below are some of the items Stirling Management performs as part of their property management services – and things you can do for your own property.
- Roof inspection – Even a couple damaged or missing shingles can cause snow melt and leakages during severe storms.
- Gutter inspection – If your gutters are full of leaves and debris, water can back up against the house and damage roofing, siding and wood trim. In the winter this is especially an issue for it can cause leaks and ice dams. A simple clean out and repair of any damaged gutters eliminates any worry, promotes proper drainage, increases longevity of heat tape and gutter structures.
- Boiler and furnace – Inspect the furnace or heat pump to be sure the system is clean and in good repair, and that it can achieve its manufacturer-rated efficiency. The inspection also measures carbon-monoxide leakage for safety.
- Stake snow removal paths – With more than a foot of snow falling in a single storm, it is important to stake out driveways and non-plow zones for snow removal. This also improves safety for foot traffic as well as protects surface finishes.
- Chimney sweep – Burning wood releases volatile gases that cool and condense on the inside of chimneys, forming highly flammable creosote. Allow enough of it to build up, and you run a risk of a chimney fire. Annual sweeping mitigates this issue completely.
- Wash windows – This gives you a stunning view of the winter wonderland outside your home and is a great way to see if there are any cracks that need repair or damaged caulking that could cause drafts.
- Home security – Many newer systems have temperature, carbon-monoxide and water sensors so it is imperative to have the alarm company go through the system biannually. It is also good practice to check batteries on any wireless sensors or controls on a regular basis.
- Heat tape – Testing ALL surfaces for full functionality – including getting on the roof and checking foot by foot for dead spots.
If you have any questions about winter maintenance feel free to contact us at (970) 925-5758.